Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Understanding Our Sound Ideas

A Letter to the Reader


When I received the text Sound Ideas I was a little perplexed as to what the title actually meant.  The introduction's explanation that "sound ideas" are developed through reading, reacting and thinking made it clear to me that this class will be about more than just understanding texts.  I was excited to learn that not only will there be written passages, but visual and audio as well.  I find that I am able to retain more information when it is presented to me in a form other than just words on a page.  Through listening to audio content from KQED and examining visuals I believe I will take more away from English I than I would a standard English class.  The passage goes on to develop an understanding of how we will be able to react to what we are learning.  I find it refreshing that we will take more than a for or against approach.  Sometimes I feel I do not fully understand what it is I am supposed to be learning, yet it is taboo to sound my  thoughts or opinions.   The activities that follow the passages will allow us all to reflect on what we have read and benefit from each other's varying view points.

Everybody Is Talented, Original and Has Something Important to Say


I found Brenda Ueland's passage very interesting and could not agree more.  She brought up very interesting points that I had not thought of before.  I particularly liked her example about no one being able to go 24 hours without expressing themselves in some form or another without going crazy.  Before reading this, I would have just assumed she meant speaking, but there are more than just one way we can express ourselves.  The forms in which we choose to do so are part of what make us unique and interesting.  Being creative is something that I have always enjoyed, but I have found it to be more challenging the older I get.  When I was younger I was just like Ueland's family members.  I would put together a show or performance any chance I could get.  It never mattered the occasion or the resources available to me.  All I ever needed was my imagination and the rest would fall into place.  As I got older, and responsibilities set in, my performances dwindled and I became more involved in my studies and structured sports.  It is no wonder that my expansive mind began to narrow in on what was "right" and "important."  I agree that over the years my teachers and "mentors" have taught me what was right and what was wrong, but in the process extracted from my free, creative spirit.  I want to use this class as an opportunity to remember what it is like to be free with my ideas and express how I feel even if it might not be what is conventionally "right."  By expressing how I feel and writing what most naturally flows, I believe I will grow as a person and in my writing abilities.

A Way of Writing


I found William Stafford's piece to be eye opening and helped to sum up my new realization that what we "think" is right and what comes naturally are two very different things.  Far too often when we look to express our ideas, we are suppressed by what we "think" we are supposed to think or say.  I like the idea of free writing where we can express whatever comes to mind first without letting external thoughts or factors come into play.  I have not used this exercise before, but I feel it will help to improve my style of writing.  Too often we allow grammar and punctuation slow us down from collecting full thoughts and ideas.  Stafford's comment that "sometimes the materials alert me to something waiting in my mind, ready for sustained attention," especially struck a cord with me.  Many times I find myself trying to remember what it was I had been thinking about, but can't seem to find a way to express it.  Free writing might help to lift these road blocks and create a fluidity to my thought process.

No comments:

Post a Comment